Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Dish #1 - Stir Fry Fish Slice

Mummy: After long thoughts abt it, i finally decided to learn some cooking. Usually my fil is the one who does the cooking for the whole family but i was tinking he is getting on in age. What if something unexpectedly happen? Whose gonna cook for the kids? I dunno if my mil & my sil knows hw to cook but as for me, its nt too late to start now rite?

Since last fri, i hv been preparing some dishes for lunch. Since i am eating alone, i only cook a little, for testing. I am also the guinea pig to sample my own cooking. If i tink the outcome passed, esp in 色香味, i might also cook for dinner & bring it down to the shop for the rest.

I followed some recipes & some i whipped up my own by combining a few recipes together. There is no rule saying u gt to die die follow exactly the same as what is stated on the recipe. I also cooked a few dishes based on memory of what my mum used to cook before i was married & staying at my own place.

Today, i tried stir fry fish slices. It may sound like a common item but for me who nvr do any cooking before, is a real test for me. Haha...

I went to the market, nt knowing what kind of fish to buy. I do not know any fish monger too. I anyhow "gasak" & approached one stall which seems to hv many customers. I asked the uncle:" Uncle, wat kind of fish to buy if u wanna prepare stir fry fish slices?" He introduced to me Batang. He says tis kind of fish is gd for stir fry or steam & also for fish porridge. I asked him hw much is he selling? He asked me hw much i wanna buy. Oh no! I wldnt know leh. I scratch my head, tinking. "Uncle, i 1st time buying leh. Help me pls" He asked me to buy those already wash & cleanse & packed in a tupperware. I can take out the amt i wan & put the rest back into the freezer. But he also gave me some adv. Dun take out, put in, take out, put in...the fish will spoil easily & faster. So i ask him hw much. Like i say, i'm 1st time buying so i dunno if tis is consider cheap or expensive. The tupperware weighs abt 600g & the uncle charged me abt $11. He says normally 1kg wld cost abt $16-$20 bucks.


Batang fish slices

Here goes...i bot the fish home & bot some mushrooms as well. I dunno the actual name but in chinese is 金针姑.

金针姑

Ingredients:
fish slices
small bunch of mushrooms
salt & pepper
cornflour
garlic
fried onions
cooking wine
light soy sauce
brown sugar
water
oil

Preparation:
- Soaked the fish slices in salt water for abt 1/2 hr ( to remove the smell of the fish - 鱼腥味), then soaked in clear water for another 15 mins. ** Taught by 姑姑 - Dust some salt & pepper, cooking wine & cornflour on the fish. Set aside.
- Heat up the pan with some oil. Throw in the mushrooms & stir fry for abt 2 mins or till golden brown on low fire.
- Using the same pan, add in the fish slices. Add more oil if pan is too hot. Carefully flipping the slices, stir fry till cooked. Set aside

Prepare the sauce in advance
1 tbsp light soy sauce
5 tbsp water
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp cooking wine

- Wash the pan first. Bring the sauce to a boil. Do not put any oil. Set aside.
- Fry some garlic & small onions ( shallots) till golden brown & fragrant.
- Sprinkle ard the fish slices
- Pour in the sauce.
- If desired, serve with spring onions.

Wella...a common dish.....fit for..........a common family :P

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...