Friday, April 23, 2010

Developmental Skills..

Rachel seems to be learning alot in school. She comes home every evening & tells me what she had learned - songs, poems, ryhmes, vocabs, etc...

As compared to Lionel when he was abt the same age as Rachel, he was nt so "as vocabalised" - when asked to sing, either he doesnt want to or he doesnt know hw to, when asked to read, he shook his head, when askd to recite, he kept quiet.

Rachel has this habit of reading when she comes back home. She will grab a book & pulls me into the room with her. Then we will go thru the book (the same book every evening) over & over again. After reading, its usually a singing session. Either she teaches me a new nursery song she learns in sch or she will ask me to sing some other songs which she have heard before ( songs i hv sang to her before)

Whenever she sees fruits, she will automatically recites a chinese poem abt them. I will try to capture them on video the next time she recites & upload here.

Rachel has a very good memory & she can tell me all her friends' name in class. Chantel, Yati, Winfred, Alex, Yi Xiang, Yi Ting. These are some names she wld very often mentioned. I asked her if these are the friends she wld always played with, she said yes. At times, she can tell me who & who did nt come to class today or who & who cried.

I asked " hw abt Alexis?" Do u play with her?" She said Alexis wld nt join them & usually sits alone. True or nt, i do nt know but i know my gal is enjoying herself very much. I am also very glad that she is able to use names as examples in the games she played, like she wld spread all her books on the bed & asked:" Mama, which book do u want to buy?" When i point to a certain one, she wld said:" This book is for my friend, Chantel or Alex already bought this book". Then i wld picked another one.

When we come across pictures like the koala bear or the kangaroo, i wld asked where she has seen them before & her immediate answer:" Australia". Then she wld also tell me Winfred has also sat on an aeroplane before. She can relate very well.

I am very focus or rather, hoping to be focus, on 1 important task right now. That is to teach Rachel how to write ABCs. One friend told me nt to worry. Leave the task to the sch. They will teach your kids how to write. But i feel that parents shd also play a part. The resposibility is there, its to be "carried" or "shouldered" by the parents.

Call me lazy, i'm still asking to be free from this task... :P

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...